Pages

Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Why There Aren't Any Chapters in My First Draft

     This week I started writing the first draft of my newest project - a high fantasy that so far is estimated to be at least 100,000 words long. That's a lot of words! And it has to be sectioned off into chapters just right or it becomes a behemoth to read.

     Normally I'd be starting off with a chapter-by-chapter outline. It's supposed to simplify things. You write up your list of scenes. Then you divvy them up into chapter slots. Then you write your first draft chapter by chapter. I've had it recommended so many times. I always thought it was the sure-fire way to get it done.

     But last week, I did something crazy. Something foolish. Something every other plotter (and even every planter) out there is probably cringing at the thought of.

     ...I stopped using chapters in my outline.

     *gasp*

     I know, right? It seems like such a nutty idea. Now before you go freaking out, just think about it. One of a writer's biggest concerns can become how long each chapter needs to be. Where to start it. How to manage the pacing. How to end it just right so that the reader practically tears a page to get to the next one.

     When you're writing a first draft, you've got enough on your mind. Who wants all of that stress, too?

     That's why I went with a scene-by-scene outline instead. And it's amazing how freeing it feels already. I didn't have to stress during the outlining process. I just wrote up the scenes. I'm not panicking as I realize how many thousands of words are going into each chapter, or how I'm WAY under my word count and have to combine chapters (which would throw everything else off). I'm just plowing through the first draft till I get to the end.

     There's an even bigger plus to this idea than saving initial stresses, though.

     You know what's tight around the corner as soon as I finish drafting? REVISION. That wonderful time when you sit down, pull out the tissues and chocolate, and bemoan how crappy your first draft turned out. When you grab red pens, sharpies, anything with ink and color, and start crossing out, writing in, switching up. It's a mess.

     Believe it or not, THAT is the perfect time to put in the chapters. Once you've decided where everything that's been written needs to go chronologically, you can better determine where your chapter divisions need to be. And it can make the horrible revision process a little lighter, even (unbelievably) fun.

     If you're feeling overwhelmed in writing your first draft, stop and wonder if you're really stressing over your chapters. Step back and ask the question, "Are they helping me or hindering me right now?"

     It could be that using chapter divisions does help you. But if you're anything like me, throwing out chapter divisions will free up your drafting process like nothing but a good villain playlist.

     Sincerely,

          Yours Truly

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading what you have to say in reply to what I just wrote!