Pages

Thursday, March 6, 2014

A Writer's Heart


If the post title sounds like a sappy analysis of what is near and dear to a writer…well, maybe it will be. But right now as I sit here surrounded by old (kind of stuffed) notebooks and some stories I made bindings and covers for myself as a kid, a lot of emotions are welling up in me, emotions I can’t really explain. Memories keep popping into my brain and then swirling, making more emotions. And – well, I couldn’t help but suddenly sit back and realize just how much a writer takes on when he or she starts creating worlds.

Now, I am a bit on the nostalgic side. So maybe it’s just me. But all other writers I’ve met seem to feel the same way. They all feel a connection with the worlds they have made up (whether the worlds resembled New York City, the Alps, or even a far off world that nobody else has ever seen except the mind’s eye of the author). And they feel that same connection to the characters they invented.

Maybe world creating isn’t just make believe that you detach from ‘the real world’. Maybe it’s something that affects us far deeper than people who aren’t writers could possibly get. Something, perhaps, that stays with us for the rest of our lives. Sound crazy? Overthought? Definitely sentimental and far too cheesy?

Think about it: when you create a world, you’re not writing an essay on some foreign culture you were required to study about in college for extra credit. You’re using your imagination (something that, for the writer, is highly sensitive and easily stimulated) to invent a personal fantasy – a fantasy where you basically play the part of God in deciding what happens to who, where, when and how – and you also play the individual parts of the various characters from the hero to the villain, from the sidekick to the lackey. In essence, you take up residence in your world; you take an active role in the events that transpire; you become the people you are writing about.

It doesn’t matter what genre you are writing. Historical fiction, science fiction, mystery, suspense, high fantasy, low fantasy – it all comes back to you as the writer. It’s your world. You invented it; you will inevitably care about it. You will feel the pull on the heartstrings of every character required to make a deep sacrifice. You will feel their rage as they watch the villain get away one more time. You will feel the sweet sensation of relief when another character barely makes it through a critical condition. You feel everything they feel as you write about them.

Other factors come into play here, as well. Images, songs, emotions, ideas. All of these are a part of what inspires a writer to write creatively. They are what give depth to our characters, bring our worlds to life, provide perspective and insight, knowledge about how things would be and wouldn’t be. Our own lives are so deeply connected with our stories that in the end our realities and our fantasies become one. Not in the weird, creepy way that makes for looneys and perverts. But in the strange, amazing way that makes our realities that much richer – because we see stories everywhere.

I will always feel a strange sensation, a pull at my heartstrings when I see the backyard of the parsonage I grew up in from certain pictures because that scenery (the pictures I took in my mind) were part of what inspired me to write certain stories; stories that became a part of me as I created a world and the characters that inhabited it. I’ll feel that same sensation when I pull out my old notebooks and read through pages I printed out years ago – because I didn’t just invent those stories; I lived them.

People who aren’t writers will read this post and think that I am some sort of weirdo. But people who are fiction writers (at least a good percentage of them) will understand all of what I’ve just said. They’ll agree with the statements, probably even have stories of their own to tell about how they get the same feelings from remembering certain scenery, people, music they heard, just about anything. It’s because God created us in His image – creative; full of ideas; capable of inventing; drawn toward that which is beautiful and deep. It’s as if the stories we write are a symbol from Him of how deeply connected He felt when He created our world, when He created us.

Maybe a sappy post, but if it makes you think then my goal is accomplished.

Sincerely,

            Yours Truly

4 comments:

  1. I think perhaps I have that same feeling sometimes, though I am not a writer. Those same feelings come over me when I remember a specific story (movie or book or even a song). I'll never forget the time I first read Tower of Giborah to Jon. I read him into the story and it was so fun; but it became a part of who we are. Reading out loud together gives us a shared adventure; that's why it is so special to read aloud or see a movie together. We "live" in those stories together and it's awesome. Perhaps I don't feel the same connection to the characters as you do, since you created them, but there is definitely a connection! I've heard one of my favorite authors, Charlotte Mason, say that some of the books you read become special friends. As we look at the books on our shelves, some of them are very very special friends. So I am glad that God gave some of us this creative talent of making up stories. And the best ones are the ones that help us understand the real world that we really do live in:) thanks, Jo, for being one of those very best of authors, that can help us see into different "worlds" and times, to actually understand life a little better. It's especially good to notice that God didn't send us a movie, He sent us His Word......... Words mean things, and touch us deeply on many levels. Keep writing, my dear:) and may you point people to The Word, Jesus. ~mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True; reading is very similar. And there is a special connection between people when you've been on the adventure together - which also counts with writing a story together.

      Delete
  2. I'm new to your blog. Glad I found it!

    I'm a writer at heart too. I know beyond all doubt exactly what you're talking about --- When I read a snippet from an old story, or happen to find an note I made myself about a character... I get intense emotional feelings, and can visualize the character, or the town they live in, or their house perhaps, even though I've never "technically" seen it. It's like having an imaginary friend. Who is real. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imaginary friends are sometimes the best, even when they are scenery and music. :)

      Delete

I look forward to reading what you have to say in reply to what I just wrote!