Pages

Monday, July 14, 2014

Author's Bio 101

     Today I had to write an author's bio for the back of my book. I also had to take a picture to be sent in, which isn't an easy thing to do given that I am currently four months pregnant and starting to really look it. I'm all in the groove for writing at the moment, and decided that while in this groove I might as well write a blog post. And this is what I have to write about.
      Most people think an author's bio would be the least of their worries when it comes time to publish. Au contraire, mom ami! An author's bio is what they will live up to for the rest of their known life! It is that small glimpse into our world people all over the globe may read. And if it doesn't sound just right, it doesn't sound professional. Too long? Unprofessional. Too short? Why did you put it in there?! Too trite? You sound like a fourth-grader writing up an "all about me" paper for school.
     See? Not so simple after all.
     The best tip I can give is this: READ AUTHOR BIOS FROM NEW YORK BEST SELLERS! The answer to most questions of professional quality is simply to see how the professionals do it. And this is exactly what I did. The results were comforting. I can add in some personal, non-writing-related interests; and I don't have to put down the name of the city that I live in given that it might be changing soon. All in all, a very gratifying tour of the professional world, and one that makes me feel incredibly professional myself.
     How did it turn out? Well, buy the book when it comes out and you'll see!...Okay, maybe I just wrote this post to promote my book. Can you blame me?
     As always, I remain sincerely,
                                           Yours Truly

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading what you have to say in reply to what I just wrote!